Workers’ compensation is a no fault insurance that provides a certain percentage of an employee’s wages and/or medical care for employees who are injured or become ill as a direct result of their job.  A claim is paid if the employer or insurance carrier agrees that the injury or illness is work related.

Workers’ Compensation Procedures

  • All job related accidents must be reported to the employee’s immediate supervisor and the Human Resources Office within 24 hours.
  • An Accident Report and the Supervisor’s Accident Investigation Report must be completed and returned to HR.  If medical attention is required the employee will be referred to Concentra Medical Center in Newark.
  • Authorization is required prior to treatment.  Medical authorization forms are available in HR.  Medical over-billing or over-treatment is fraudulent.
  • Employees must follow the treatment program established by the workers’ compensation doctor.  Services rendered by the employee’s personal physician may not be compensable.
  • It is the employee’s responsibility to notify their supervisor and the Human Resources Office if authorized time-off by the workers’ compensation doctor.  It is also the employee’s responsibility to keep their supervisor informed of the treatment and recovery process.  It is the supervisor’s responsibility to investigate the accident and complete the Supervisor’s Accident Investigation Report; the Supervisor’s Investigation Report must be returned the Human Resources Office, not given to the employee.
  • Members of AFSCME, OPEIU, FOP and SOA must refer to their union contract regarding the rate of pay when absent from work due to a job related accident.
  • It is fraudulent to exaggerate or fake an injury, falsify an injury as work-related, or work elsewhere while collecting loss of wage benefits.

Employee’s Preliminary Accident Report Form

Note: Employees who are absent due to a job related accidents are not removed from the payroll, if there is sufficient sick time accrued.  If an employee receives a check from the Workers’ Compensation Carrier, the check must be endorsed and returned to the Payroll Office at NJIT.  Employees who cash checks that they are not entitled to received will have the amount of the workers’ compensation reimbursement payment deducted from their paycheck.